Poetry is another great and beautiful form of writing, used to express ideas in a different way than a short story, novella, or novel. Sometimes, it’s hard to come up with topics for poems, so here are 5 ideas to hopefully inspire you.
- Dark Academia: create a list of things/activities/items that remind you of the dark academia aesthetic. It can simply be tea or coffee, or something like the clicking of a typewriter. After this finishing, try to use everything you listed in a poem. (This list method can also be used for anything—a color, season, emotion, etc.)
- Write a poem about another person—a parent, sibling, grandparent, cousin, friend, significant other, etc. It can have a happy or melancholy tone.
- Write about a feeling you’ve had, whether it was positive or negative. Try to compare it to different things, like a sunny day in a meadow or a cold, rainy winter night. Be creative with metaphors!
- Choose a random lyric and use that as inspiration for your poem. It can be in the poem (but make sure you give credit to the musician and song!) or just be the theme of the poem.
- Write a poem about a current event. It can be climate change, racism, sexism, or any other major problems that we are facing.